The Rogers Family

Monday, May 24, 2010

sweet baby Tucker

So I've been trying to get this posting completed for 6 days now ... it's been a bit crazy here and in Abilene, with lots happening and I just couldn't get this posted timely ... but, now there's another update as of today and I am thrilled to announce that my newest nephew, Tucker, is 1 week old and is now at home with my sister, brother-in-law and big brother Mason!

Here's what happened over the past 7 days ...
Kendall & I drove to Abilene on Sunday (May 16) afternoon so we could be there when baby Tucker Alan Perkins was born on Monday (my sister was being induced) ... this was my first out-of-town-driving-experience with Kendall all by myself ... and we did pretty good! We were happily greeted by Kendall's Grams & Pops and then Grams, Kendall & I spent some time playing at MawMaw's house that afternoon ... MawMaw was recovering from having knee surgery and is feeling much, much better than she was before the surgery!

Monday morning ... it was time to go to the hospital! My sister was induced early in the morning ... Kendall & I came up to see them after she'd been given her epidural.

Rae with our last baby shower gift from E & me ... Tucker's bitty baby blankie arrived in time for his big arrival! (Click here if you want to check out our cousin's website for your own bitty baby blankie ... they are the BEST!)

Grams & Pops and Kendall ... in the hospital's waiting room. There were quite a few of us that gathered in the waiting room for the big arrival ... Michael's parents, his brother & sister-in-law and their daughter, my parents, Mason, and Kendall & I. Most of us took turns visiting Rae to keep her company (at her request).

Uncle Mike entertaining Kendall with the video camera
Lois "Nonny" (Michael's mom) & Uncle Mike in the hospital room ... Kendall loves Mason's Nonny and she is soooooo sweet to Kendall (and everyone!), so Kendall enjoyed hanging out with them while we were waiting on Tucker to be born ...

I was in the room with Rae when the nurse decided it was time to call her OB to come ... and soon afterwards, we got text messages from Rae that said he was born ... 12:40pm on Monday, May 17, 2010 ... weighing 7 lbs 8 oz and 20 1/2 inches long. She only got to hold him for a few moments before the nurse took him (and Michael) to the "extra care" nursery to help him with his breathing. They are thinking he has "wet lungs" where he swallowed some gunk on his way out and once his lungs are empty, he won't have any more trouble breathing. My sister and brother-in-law are taken back by this (as is the whole family) ... and are asking you to keep him in your prayers!

my sister, Rachel holding her new precious baby just after delivering ... Tucker Alan Perkins

Since Michael went with Tucker to be checked on, I got to bring big brother Mason back with me to see Rae ... he was so excited about getting to finally see his mommy, but was a little concerned about all the tubes & wires that were on her, at first.

Uncle Mike and the new Big Brother!

sweet baby Tucker ... resting under his "oxygen bubble" to help him breathe easier

We spent most of the day at the hospital, hoping we'd be able to see baby Tucker soon, but we couldn't. I took Kendall back to my parents' so she could get a little nap and then we went back to the hospital to be with Rae. (Only parents, grandparents and siblings were allowed to go to the "extra care" nursery where Tucker was ... so I couldn't even see him .)

Tuesday morning, I spent a little time at the hospital with Rae & Michael (while Grams & Pops kept Kendall for me) ... Michael asked the nurses for special permission for me to be allowed in the back hallway to look at Tucker through a window ... so I got to see him from the window and he was so sweet & precious and I can't wait to get to hold him! Kendall & I drove back home, just in time to pick up the boys from school.

Tucker wasn't getting any better, so the doctor decided to treat him for premature lungs ... and intubated him and gave him surfacton (which is what Kendall had to have as well to help her lungs inflate) ... Tucker went from being on the ventilator, to the C-PAP, to the nasal cannula all within 1 day and is improving greatly! They are hoping in the next day or 2 he will be breathing even easier!

The rest of the week, Tucker continued to get better and better ... and my sister & brother-in-law got to start doing those special parent duties of changing his diapers, helping bathe him, feeding him, and clothing him ... VERY exciting!

Tucker on Thursday ...

Saturday they were told they would "room in" with Tucker in the hospital on Sunday ... and they got to take him home with them today, Monday! And he is now 1 week old and at home and we are sooo happy! Ash, Kendall & I will be in Abilene for Memorial Day weekend and we can't wait to see & hold sweet baby Tucker!

No comments:

Post a Comment