The Rogers Family

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Fur-Ever Friends ...

Okay, so I know my mother-in-law "Huni" will be horrified by this post, as will any other non-dog lovers (if there ARE any other non-dog lovers actually out there ... and I don't want to use the word "dog haters" ... but it's close to that! ha! I think what makes it worse between Huni and Cassie, our wonderful, sweet 6 1/2 year old, 70 lb pure-bred Black Labrador Retriever, is that I think Cassie senses her dislike for her and tries even harder to be near Huni, sniff her, sit by her, etc ... maybe she's trying to convince her that she is lovable ... I don't know ...)

Anyway, I do love dogs (well, most dogs ... I am a little bit of a dog-snob, I will admit) ... and I do love our dog, Cassie. Ash and I got her for our 2nd year wedding anniversary gift to each other ... kind of a test run to see how we'd do being parents of a dog and then, we could work our way into being parents of actual children ... ha! I picked Cassie out of the liter, myself, and (conceitedly) even worked from home during the time she was a puppy, so I trained her and she knows LOTS of fun tricks! Of course, she LOVES Ashley even more than me ... but apparently, her loyalties have changed once again, because as soon as Kendall came home with us, Kendall immediately became her new favorite! I really can't blame Cassie, though ... Kendall is so sweet and adorable ... I don't know how anyone could resist her!

I was a little worried about how Cassie would be with Kendall, but she was great right from the first day ... one of the main reasons why we decided to get a Black Lab so long ago ... because they are fantastic with kids and Cassie does not disappoint!

Cassie follows Kendall & I everywhere around the house, all day and all night long! She is never more than a few feet away from Kendall, sitting or lying down next to or as near to her as I will let her ... it never fails ... no matter what time it is ... those middle of the night feedings we used to do ... Cassie would get up from her sleep to come join Kendall & I for the feeding until I put Kendall back to bed. There have been times where Cassie will come to get me if Kendall has woken up from her nap and is crying in her bed (and I apparently haven't gotten Kendall soon enough). Now that Kendall is grabbing everything in sight, Cassie is a favorite target of her's ... she grabs her fur, reaches out for her face ... anything she can possible touch, including Cassie's eyes, nose, ears and her teeth! Of course, we are always right there with Kendall (and don't let her grab her teeth!), but Cassie is just so sweet and just lets her do it. Cassie has enjoyed getting close to Kendall, but she also likes to get just barely out of reach of Kendall's little hands. Kendall jumps up and down and bounces around with excitement each time she sees Cassie coming ... or hears her coming and stops what she is doing to look at Cassie ... I think these 2 are going to become the best of friends ... as long as Cassie can endure Kendall's treatment of her!

Here are a few pictures Kendall and Cassie and their growing relationship over the past 6 months that Kendall has been home with us ...

July 2009

August 2009


Taking a nap after tummy time ... Cassie joined in the nap session too (in the background) ... you can see her better in the next picture ... September 2009




December 2009

January 2010

Watch out Cassie ... she's comin' for you!


(And what do think of this post's title ... "Fur-Ever Friends" ?... It cracks me up ... my sister used to take her dog, Sassy, to a dog grooming/boarding place called Fur-Ever Friends, and I've always thought it was a cute/clever name for a place like that ... ha!)

1 comment:

  1. Hey ya'll - Auntie Mary here. You are doing such a fabulous job on your blog, Alexis! I can't wait to meet our not-so-little-any-more niece! And I'd love to see Huni's face when she gets a load of some of these Cassie/Kendall photos!!

    ReplyDelete