The Rogers Family

Friday, October 23, 2009

ACU Homecoming ... 10 year class reunion

October 16-18 ...

Our first trip out of town with Kendall ... we loaded up our entire house (including Cassie the dog) and headed to Abilene for my 10 year class reunion at ACU! (Ashley's 10 year was last year, but we didn't get any info about it in time for us to go ... but we will be there for his 15th year!) I still can't believe I've been out of school for 10 years now and have been living in DFW that long, too!

Kendall did great on our long journey to Abilene ... only needing to stop once to feed and then we were back on the road again. We got to my parents' house late Friday night and were welcomed with open arms ... we hadn't been out of town since February, so we were glad to get there!

I did a pretty pitiful job of taking pictures through out the weekend, so we really don't have that many. Luckily, Christi took some too, so we have a few more to remember the weekend by!

Saturday morning we joined the ACU Homecoming festivities on campus ... (I slept in and skipped club breakfast) the ACU Parade at 9:30a was our first event ... it was a true family event with everyone walking up to ACU for the big parade ... my parents, Grandmother, sister, bro-in-law and adorable 22month old nephew all made it with us! It was really fun getting to see so many old friends and meet their spouses and children!


Christi holding Kendall at my parents' house just before leaving for the parade ... I think this is a great picture of Christi ... Kendall was very tired and we were trying to keep her awake for the parade ... it didn't work because by the time we walked up to the campus, she was back asleep again! That's okay ... at least she was decked out in all her purple and white!


Sleeping during the parade ... that is, until the band came by ... I think it was the drums that got her!


Us at the parade


Naomi (Chowning) Encalade, Amy (Crittenden) McKissick and her daughter, Ginny; Abby and Avery Encalade (Naomi's daughters), me, Kendall, Danielle Mussellman, and Christi Norris ... in front of Bitsy's Florist on Campus Courts


Go Wildcats! (Kendall was giving the wildcat sign, so I joined her! It's great that she's already got the ACU spirit ... I really, really hope that she wants to go to ACU like we did!)


After the parade, we walked across campus to the Campus Center (I think that is what they still call it) ... the name may be the same, but everything else has certainly changed ... it's been totally redone and it looks great! The campus store was packed but we did have to go in to check it out. It's amazing how much has changed in 10 years ... sure wished it had been that nice when we were in school! (We skipped Chapel this time ... didn't really think Kendall would be too into it this year.) We saw lots of folks we knew and loved catching up with everyone!

We skipped out on the ACU football game, but headed to the Abilene Zoo for a special event ... Boo at the Zoo. Apparently, ALL of Abilene had the same idea we did, so the zoo was VERY busy ... we couldn't believe it was so packed! At least the kids looked adorable in their little Halloween costumes, but they didn't last long because the weather had turned from the 50's to the 80's! We made it around to the most important animals before having to leave to get ready for our reunion dinner.


Kendall hanging out with MawMaw



Boo at the Zoo ... me with our little ladybug and my sister, Rachel with Mason the monkey. It was so hot by the time we got to the zoo, we put Kendall in only part of her costume (we left off her little black & red tights) just to get a quick picture ... it's not a great picture, but there we are! (You can see how cute she really looks in her costume when we get her dressed up again, for Halloween ... so stay tuned.)



This is how Kendall spent the rest of our time at the zoo ... not wearing her costume ... but she was wearing her black under shirt that says "I Love My Mummy" ... ha!


For dinner, Ashley and I met up with the rest of the class of 1999 for our reunion dinner! (Notice that I didn't mention sweet Kendall ...) We left her with her first babysitter ... Grams and Pops (my parents)! She is 5 1/2 months old (3 months corrected age) and we have never, and I mean never, left her before, so I was really getting nervous about it ... not that I didn't have full confidence in my parents, but just being without her for the first time. I did better than I was fearing, but I really did miss her ... and we were only gone for 4 hours! She was asleep when we left and she was asleep when we got back, so I'm sure that made it a lot easier for me.

Laura (Marshall) Tippett, Courtney (Cash) Leach, me, Brooke (Stephens) Morrow, Danielle Mussellman and Christi Norris ... we had a great time catching up with everyone and reflecting on our old ACU days!


Randy & Courtney (Cash) Leach ... it was soooo great to get to see them again ... it had been a year since I'd gotten to see Courtney (at Laura Gilkey's wedding)


Best of friends ... Amy, Naomi and me at our class dinner


On Sunday, we praised & worshiped at a packed worship service at Southern Hills, where my family are members. It was great to see several folks who have been praying for Kendall since her early birth ... this was the first time she had been to Southern Hills. For lunch, my mom made a special birthday lunch for my brother-in-law, Michael, or as Kendall will call him "Uncle Mike" ... and as part of his birthday gift event, he and my sister announced they are expecting baby #2 ... wooo hooo! We are soooo excited! Rachel is due at the end of May, so the baby and Kendall will be a year apart ... and I think they will be wonderful friends!

Uncle Mike, Aunt Rach (and Baby #2), Kendall and cousin Mason

We had a busy weekend in Abilene, but it was a good one ... full of family, friends and traditions ... a good first out-of-town weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment